Basic Research Activities
- Experimental study of aerodynamic characteristics of flying vehicles and their elements, including the processes of interference, spatial separation of the flow, structure and regular features of the development of subsonic and supersonic flows.
- Experimental study of ducted aerodynamic configurations and supersonic jet flows as applied to the problem of creation of scramjet-powered hypersonic vehicles.
- Modeling of the processes of flow around the inlets and their integration with the fuselage, mixing processes in supersonic flows, investigation of a three-dimensional flow structure in the mixing layer of supersonic non-isobaric jets.
- Experimental study of pressure fluctuations and unsteady flow structure in supersonic separation regions and impinging supersonic jets.
- Development of the methods of optical diagnostics of supersonic flows, in particular, skin friction measurement using the oil-film technique for curved and arbitrarily oriented surfaces;
- laser Doppler anemometry for panoramic registration of velocity fields, etc.
|Aerodynamic interference of bodies of revolution|
|Schlieren pictures of a supersonic underexpanded jet exhausting from an axissymmetric nozzle and a schematic of streamwise vortex structures in the initial section of the jet. 1 - nozzle, 2 - Mach disk, 3 - barrel shock wave, 4 - reflected shock wave, 5 - jet boundary, 6 - streamwise vortices|
The laboratory was founded in 1967 and performed scientific studies under the guidance of Prof. A.M.Kharitonov for 30 years.
- RUSSIA: TsAGI, CIAM, Tupolev Research-Technological Company, Institute of Applied Mathematics RAS (Moscow); Rocket-Space Center 'Energiya', Research-Technical Center 'Energocosmos' (Moscow region); Baltic State Technical University (Saint Petersburg);
- GERMANY: DLR Institute of Fluid Mechanics (Goettingen); Aachen Institute of Aerodynamics, Institute of Fluid Mechanics at Muenchen University;
- FRANCE: ONERA, Dassaul Aviation, Aerospatiale;
- USA: California Institute of Technology, Princeton University.
Head of the Laboratory
Doctor of technical sciences Zapryagaev Valery Ivanovich
tel.: (383) 330-76-77
fax: (383) 330-72-68